Thyroid cancer surgery in Kolkata is the most common and effective treatment for thyroid cancer. It consists of removing the thyroid gland entirely or partially. The procedure is called thyroidectomy. It is superfluous to argue that thyroid cancer surgery is an extremely serious surgical manoeuvre. Hence, you should be aware of certain preliminaries before you undergo the procedure.
Thyroid Cancer Surgery Preparation
Before the surgery, there are several things you have to undertake in order to prepare yourself mentally and physically.
Anticipating Your Surgery
You might be informed of the surgery date beforehand, two-three weeks prior. During this preparatory interval, you may need to undergo the followings:
- In case you have a nodule, the best thyroid cancer surgeons may proceed to perform a fine needle aspiration (or needle biopsy) to determine whether the growth is benign or malignant.
- Your healthcare provider may investigate your vocal cord functions.
- The thyroid cancer surgeon may also administer some thyroid medicines to suppress the excessive production of thyroid hormones.
- Moreover, your healthcare provider will also recommend you step out of addictions (smoking, alcoholism).
Medications & Foods
If you have hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer surgeons may prescribe you medications, such as iodine and potassium solutions. The pre-operative medications are generally intended to control your thyroid functions and lower the risk of bleeding after the surgery.
To obliterate the possibility of anaesthesia complications, you will be discouraged from eating or drinking anything after midnight on the night before the surgery. Additionally, you might also need to postpone some medications, such as those with anticoagulants.
General Health Checkup Before Surgery
Before the thyroid cancer surgery, you will have to undergo a bunch of tests to determine if you are physically sound for the anaesthetic and the operation. These tests might include the following:
- Blood tests to determine whether your blood can clot normally and that you are capable of fighting infections.
- Chest x-ray to check for infections and lung function tests to discern how well your lungs are working.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) to check whether your heart is functioning well.
Consult a Physiotherapist
Often, before the thyroid cancer surgery, it is a good idea to consult a physiotherapist as they can assess how flexible you are and whether your constituency is going to affect your recovery. Moreover, physiotherapists can show you some elementary exercises that can reduce chest infections and blood clots.
Surgery is the definitive thyroid cancer treatment. However, it is absolutely indispensable that you follow the pre-operative guidelines as closely and as rigorously as possible. Also, as your first step towards recovery, you must consult the best thyroid cancer surgeon in Kolkata.