Stomach Cancer Surgeon
Growth of Malignant Cells at the stomach brings up Stomach Cancer. Such growth is a slow process that occurs through years. Cells in a cumulative form are looked like a tumor. Stomach cancer is one of the leading reasons of death in Cancer. This disease can primarily be detected by symptoms like heartburn, persistent indigestion and then you must consult an oncologist.
The preliminary signs of stomach cancer are as follows:
- Feeling bloated after eating
- Full belly feeling after absorbing a small amount of food
- Severe and persistent heartburn
- A consistent indigestion
- Pain in the stomach
- Continuous belching
- Inexplicable loss of weight
- Relentless fatigue
Like any form of cancer, adenocarcinoma has several risk factors too. These may include:
- Salty and smoked foods
- Diet with low content of fruits and vegetables
- If the designated fungus called aflatoxin contaminates food
- Sustaining of infection with Heliobacter pylori
- Pernicious Anaemia
- Stomach cancer may also be hereditary
- Stomach Polyps
Sensing the existence of such symptoms, the patient will consult Best Stomach Cancer doctor who is likely to suggest some physical examinations. There may be queries about past medical history of the patient too. Such suggestion may include the following:
- Upper Endoscopy
- Upper GI series Test
- CT Scan
- Biopsy: Performed along with endoscopy.
A consort of Stomach cancer treatment can be offered. The choice depends on factors like the length of time that the disease is within. Another important factor is the extent of spread within body. Some of such treatments are discussed below:
- Surgery : Total or subtotal gastrectomy with D2 dissection.
- Chemotherapy: Neoadjuvant chemotherapy or in the adjuvant setting
- Radiation in select cases
Oncology is an ever evolving field of medicine and is matter of research and development. The author per say does not claim the following to be guidelines of practice in oncology. These are part of patient awareness initiative by Dr. Suvadip Chakrabarti MCh (Surgical Oncology), cancer doctor in Kolkata to educate people at large of various options in Oncology. It should not be taken to be practice guidelines.