Your trachea is encircled by the thyroid, a butterfly-shaped gland. It creates hormones that regulate your body’s metabolism, heart rate, and body temperature. The level of calcium in your blood is also controlled by thyroid hormones. If you are detected with a malignant lump on your thyroid gland, then it is recommended to consult the best thyroid cancer doctor in Kolkata.
Impact of Thyroid Cancer
Thyroid cancer may not exhibit any symptoms or indications in its early stages. According to a thyroid cancer surgeon in Kolkata, this cancer is frequently found during a normal neck exam or an imaging scan used to identify another problem. Usually, touching your thyroid won’t make it feel anything but after diagnosis, if the lump on your thyroid gland is found to be malignant, then you might have to undergo thyroid cancer surgery in Kolkata. However, if cancer is present, a lump might develop as the tumour grows.
It’s more likely to get thyroid cancer if you’re:
- Between the age group of 25 to 65
- Being radiation-exposed in the head or neck region
Thyroid cancer often results in a lump and/or swelling of the neck, but it can also cause hoarseness of the voice, trouble breathing or swallowing, and other symptoms. Other signs include a chronic cough that is not related to an infection and neck ache, but that may extend as far as the ears. It is essential to get a diagnosis if you’re exhibiting any symptoms.
An odd lump, nodule, or swelling in the neck is the most typical early indication of thyroid cancer. Visit your doctor if you find a lump that is developing or that is new, so they may prescribe more testing to discover the cause and whether a tumour is present or not. The majority of thyroid nodules are often benign, but it’s crucial to check whether the unusual lump growth is benign or malignant.
Symptoms of Thyroid Cancer
Other thyroid cancer early warning signals include:
- Fatigue or Hoarseness
- Neck glands that are enlarged
- A persistent cough that might not be due to a cold
Additional signs of thyroid cancer include:
- Neck discomfort: The pain frequently begins in the front of the neck. In certain instances, neck pain may even expand to the ears.
- Voice changes: Having a raspy voice or experiencing other voice changes that persist may be an indication of thyroid cancer.
- Breathing issues: Some thyroid cancer patients claim that, at times, it seems as if they are breathing through a straw. This breathing trouble is frequently a sign of the illness.
- Tumour swelling: A tumour or nodule on the thyroid gland may cause problems due to swallowing.
It is advisable to schedule routine tests and follow-up sessions of treatment by the best thyroid cancer doctor in Kolkata because early signs of thyroid cancer may not be noticeable. You might need to undergo a physical examination, blood tests, and other associated tests.