When cancer cells form in the inner lining of the stomach, it is the beginning of stomach cancer. These cells can give rise to tumours. The growth of this cancer is normally slow and takes many years.
Symptoms Of Stomach Cancer
There are various symptoms of stomach cancer. There can be the following symptoms when the cancer is in its early stage.
- Feeling full quickly during meals
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Feeling bloated after meals
- Frequent burping
- Pain in the stomach
- Trapped wind
- Vomiting (sometimes with blood)
The following symptoms may arise when stomach cancer reaches an advanced stage.
- Fluid build-up in the stomach
- Black stools with blood
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
In conclusion, a reputed cancer specialist in Kolkata helps to manage stomach cancer.
Causes Of Stomach Cancer
A part of the upper section of our digestive tract is the stomach (along with the esophagus). The function of the stomach is to digest food and then the nutrients move to the small and large intestines. Sometimes the healthy cells within the upper digestive system become cancerous and grow out of control, becoming a tumour. This is when stomach cancer occurs.
There is a direct link of stomach cancer to the tumours in the stomach. Some factors increase the risk of developing these cancerous cells.
- Too much consumption of salty and smoked foods
- Less consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Family history
- H. pylori infection in the stomach
- Peptic stomach ulcers
- Intestinal metaplasia
- Chronic atrophic gastritis
- Pernicious anaemia
- Stomach polyps
Diagnosis Of Stomach Cancer
A cancer doctor in Kolkata will conduct a complete physical exam at first. He/she will ask you different questions about your family and medical history. The doctor may also advise you to undergo some tests including:
- Blood tests: These tests help to detect cancer signs in your body
- Upper endoscopy: To have a clear view of your stomach, the doctor inserts a thin, flexible tube with a small camera down your throat.
- Upper GI series test: You have to drink a special liquid with a substance ‘barium’ in it. Your stomach gets coated by the liquid and it shows up more clearly on X-ray.
- CT scan: The doctor can get detailed pictures of the inside area of your body with the help of this powerful X-ray.
- Biopsy: A small tissue sample is taken from your stomach by your doctor. He/she examines it under a microscope for signs of cancer cells.
An oncologist in Kolkata often recommends the surgical removal of the stomach cancer with a marginal portion of healthy tissue. This is important so that no cancerous cells are left behind.
Above all, the doctor uses drugs to stop the rapid growth of the cancer cells in this procedure.
In other words, to target and kill cancer cells, the specialist uses radioactive rays in radiation therapy.
The cancer cells produce some specific proteins. Therefore, targeted therapies recognize and attack these proteins.
Similarly, the medicines, which a doctor utilises in this treatment, encourage the body’s immune cells to attack cancer cells.