Laryngeal cancer may have to sustain with one or a combination of therapies like surgery, radio-therapy, chemotherapy and biological therapy. The head and neck cancer surgeon may require suggesting complete removal of the abnormal area through surgery followed by reconstruction and artificial voice box. Like any other cancer, extent of treatment is dependent upon the stage in which the disease has been diagnosed.
- Total wide field Laryngectomy
- Partial Laryngectomy (Semon’s)
- Laryngofissure (Rarely done)
- Larynx conservation Surgery
- Vertical Partial Laryngectomy
- Surgery for Supraglottic Carcinoma
- Supracricoid partial Laryngectomy with cricohyoidpexy (CHEP)
In addition to surgery which has issues of post-operative voice rehabilitation,we have voice rehabilitation by use ofTracheo-esophagialprosthesis (TEP).
Oncology is an ever evolving field of medicine and is matter of research and development. The author per say does not claim the following to be guidelines of practice in oncology. These are part of patient awareness initiative by Dr. Suvadip Chakrabarti MCh (Surgical Oncology) to educate people at large of various options in Oncology. It should not be taken to be practice guidelines.